Once your admin has enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your Microsoft account, you will need to set up your user account to use it which should only take a few minute.
Unsure what multi-factory authentication (MFA) is, visit What is Multifactor authentication
By setting up MFA, you add an extra layer of security to your Microsoft 365 account sign-in which can stop unauthorised access to your account.
If you are getting a new phone, it is important to migrate your Microsoft Authenticator account from the old phone to the new phone, otherwise, you could get locked out of your Microsoft account and only an Admin can resolve this for you.
1. Sign in to your Microsoft 365 with your work or school account with your Microsoft email address and password, use this link: Microsoft Web Portal Sign In
First, enter your email address
2. Then, enter your password
3. If this is the first time you have attempted to access your Microsoft account and have not setup MFA, you will then be prompted ‘More information required’
To setup multi-factor authentication, select Next
Otherwise, if it is not a convenient time to do it now, select ‘Ask later' which then gives you up to 14 days to do the MFA
4. You will then be prompted to Keep your account secure by getting the Microsoft Authenticator app which you if you do not have it installed on your Apple or Android phone, you can click on Download now
Once you have Microsoft Authenticator installed or if you have already installed it, select Next to continue
Otherwise, if you have Google Authenticator and prefer to use that for authentication, click on I want to use a different authenticator app
Note: Recommend to use the Microsoft Authenticator for Microsoft accounts as it is more secure than mobile authentication
5. Next you will see Keep your account secure and if prompted, allow notifications on your phone with the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Now on your phone, open the Microsoft Authenticator app and unlock with your phone’s lock screen security code.
Android: Select 3 dots (top right) for menu, then + Add account
Apple: Select Add account or + (top right)
Then select Work or school account and Scan a QR Code
Note: If this is the first time you have used the app, you will be prompted to allow access to your camera
Now on the computer, select Next
6. Now scan the QR code with your phone to add your Microsoft account to Microsoft Authenticator
7. Then, select Next on the computer and you will then be prompted on your mobile device to approve the sign in
You have successfully setup Microsoft multi-factor authentication on your Microsoft account.
If you encounter any issues with the above steps, it is advised to contact your Microsoft Admin for further assistance.