All the emails in your Gmail account are available for download via IMAP and POP. Now, Gmail allows you to export and backup your Gmail data without needing to turn to third-party software and arcane workarounds. by downloading the data as mbox files.
To download a copy of messages in your Gmail account in the Mbox file format which then can used as an archive to keep for your records or use the data in another service.
1. If you only want to download select message(s), start in your Google Mail by applying a label, for example “messages to download,” to only the message(s) you want to download
3. Click Select None (Thunderbird can only store your emails, it cannot store this other data)
4. Scroll down to Mail, click on the grey X to the right
- If you want to download only certain messages, click All Mail
- Check Select Labels
- Check the labels that tag the emails you want to download
5. Do not change the file type, click Create Archive
The zip will be sent via your selected delivery method (by default, you will get an email with a link to download the zip) – it may not be instant, the more emails you are downloading, the longer it will take to create your archive